Anil Gochikar is an Indian bodybuilder who represented India at the International level. Anil’s picture while pulling the chariots went viral during the Jagannath Rath Yatra. He is locally known as the bodyguard of Lord Jagannath in Shree Jagannath Temple, Puri, Odisha.
Anil Kumar Gochikar a.k.a. Anil Gochikar was born on Wednesday, 7 June 1978 (age 44 years; as of 2022) in Harichandi Sahi, Puri, Odisha. His zodiac sign is Gemini. He is a law graduate.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 70 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest 52″, Waist 43″, Biceps 20″
Parents & Siblings
His father, Harihar Gochikar, Brahmin Pandit at the Jagannath temple and the owner of the ‘Hotel Gochhikar’ in Puri, Odisha, passed away in 2006. His mother’s name is Swarnalata Gochhikar. Anil has an elder brother named Damodar Gochikar, who is a national-level bodybuilder and an athlete. Damodar has won a gold medal at the Eastern India competition.
Anil Gochikar’s parents
Anil Gochikar with his brother, Damodar Gochhikar
Wife & Children
Anil Gochikar is married and has a daughter named Anuradha.
Anil Gochikar with his wife
Anil follows Hinduism. He is a servitor of Puri’s Jagannath Temple in Odisha.
Anil is a Brahmin Pandit.
Anil began working out in a gym in 2009. Anil Gochikar received professional training from Alok Behera in Mumbai. The first time Anil participated in a bodybuilding event was in 2012 when he participated in Mr Odisha 50th Senior State Body Building Championship. The weight limit was 65kg because of which Anil had to undergo exhaustive running to shed the 400 gms as he weighed 64.5 Kg. Anil won a gold medal at this event. Anil then participated in various championships, and competitions held at the international, and national levels.
Hotel and Gym
Anil and Damodar Gochhikar run their father’s hotel ‘Hotel Gochhikar’ in Puri district, Odisha, since his death in 2006. Hotel Gochhikar has a gym called Gocchikar Life Style- GYM, which is run by the Gochhikar brothers.
Gochhikar Life Style- GYM
In January 2022, Anil staged a dharna near the Puri Collector’s office along with his mother, accusing the administration of forcibly evicting them from their building near the Jagannath Temple without paying compensation. According to Anil, their building was demolished forcefully, while the case was still pending in the Orissa High Court.
Awards & Achievements
- 2012: Mr Odisha 50th Senior State Body Building Championship
- 2012, 2013, and 2014: Mr India Bodybuilding Competition
- 2012: Emerged Champion of Champions in 70kg weight category at 12th Eastern and North Eastern India Bodybuilding championship, Bhubaneswar
- 2014: Bronze medal in 70kg weight category at World Championships in Body Building in Mumbai
- 2017: Mr Odisha Senior State Bodybuilding Championship
Anil Gochikar with his trophy of Mr Odisha State Bodybuilding Championship 2017
- 2017: Mr India in 65kg weight category at 10th Senior National Bodybuilding Championship, Gurugram
- 2018: Gold medal at Mr Odisha Senior State Bodybuilding Championship
- 2018: Silver medal at Mr India 2018 Bodybuilding Championship
- 2019: Gold medal in 70kg weight category at Mr India 2019 Championship
- 2014: Bronze medal at World Championships in Body Building in Dubai
- 2016: Gold medal in International Bodybuilding Competitions held at Al-Nasr, Dubai
- It was during Jagannath Rath Yatra 2022 when a picture of a man, Anil Gochikar, with a muscular body, pulling the chariot, went viral on social media.
Anil Gochikar pulling the chariots during the Jagannath Rath Yatra
- Anil is one of the 3000 prathiharis (bodyguards) of Lord Jagannath who protect the temple’s belongings.
- People fondly call him ‘Nanaa,’ which in Odia language means ‘father.’
- Anil is a pure vegetarian and never consumed an egg to build his body.
- Anil started attending akharas at a very young age.
- His family has been serving, as servitors, to Puri’s Jagannath Temple in Orissa.
- During an interview, Anil shared that his diet includes 4- 5 litres of milk, 2- 2.5 kg of fruits, and 500 gms of cheese every day.
- Anil Gochikar never consumed alcohol or tobacco.
- He owns a Royal Enfield Classic 500 motorcycle.
Anil Gochikar with his motorcycle