Avinash Singh is an Indian cricketer (bowler). He was bought for Rs. 60 lakhs by Royal Challengers Bangalore on 23 December 2022 during the 2023 Indian Premier League mini-auction in Kochi.
Avinash Singh was born on Sunday, 4 January 1998 (age 24 years; as of 2022) in Jammu and Kashmir. Her zodiac sign is Capricorn. Since childhood, he desired to become an Indian Army Officer. However, he failed the physical test twice and dropped the idea to get into the Indian Army. After he failed in the physical test of the Indian Army, his father decided to send Avinash to Canada. Although Singh played cricket as a hobby since childhood, he never desired to pursue it as a career.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Avinash Singh’s father, Ashok Singh, is an auto rikshaw driver. He has two younger brothers.
As of 2022, Avinash is unmarried.
From Tennis Ball Cricket To Indian Premier League
As a hobby, Avinash used to play cricket with a tennis ball with his friends in his locality. In February 2022, he accompanied one of his friends to Mayank Goswami’s (Cricket coach) cricket academy. At the academy, he came into the notice of the former cricketer and cricket coach Mayank Goswami for his bowling style. Goswami, impressed with Singh’s bowing style, asked him to join his (Mayank’s) cricket academy. However, Avinash did not return. After about a week, Mayank sent a coach from his academy to Avinash’s house, where Avinash’s family declined Mayank’s request (to let Avinash join Mayank’s cricket academy) citing financial issues. After learning about Singh’s financial problems, Goswami reached out to Avinash’s father and convinced him to let Avinash play cricket. Goswami said if Avinash fails to make it big within a year, he can send him to Canada.
Avinash Singh with his coach Mayank Goswami
At Mayank’s academy, Avinash played with the leather ball for the first time. After training Avinash Singh at his academy for a few weeks, Mayank Goswami sent him to Pune (on Mayank’s expenses), where Avinash trained under Ashok Gaikwad, a cricket coach, for a few months. Avinash returned to Jammu and Kashmir in June and started performing at the camps of IPL franchises like RCB, LSG, and DC. At one of the camps of the Royal Challengers Bangalore, he caught the eye of the scouts, who asked him to be a part of RCB’s training. In an interview, while talking about it, Avinash Singh said,
RCB had a trial in Mumbai in September. He liked my bowling action. I did well in camp. The fastest I bowled was 154.3 kmph. I was also called in Kolkata, Lucknow and Delhi franchises to give trial. That trial also went well. I fully expected that I would be bought.”
In December 2022, during the 2023 Indian Premier League mini-auction in Kochi, Avinash Singh was bought by the IPL franchise Royal Challengers Bangalore for Rs. 60 lakhs.
Avinash Singh celebrating his selection in RCB with his friends and family members
- Avinash Singh is a Right Handed Batsman and Right-arm fast-medium bowler.
- When he earned the IPL contract by Royal Challengers Bangalore, he had not even played a single professional cricket match.
- Singh got selected in the RCB IPL team just 10 months after he started bowling with a leather ball.
- Apparently, his bowling action is quite similar to that of Umran Malik, who made his debut for Indian in 2022.
- Initially, Avinash’s father was not supportive of his cricket and when Avinash’s name did not appear in the list of uncapped players, his father asked him to leave cricket and focus on moving to Canada. His father said,
Chal, cricket ka bukhaar utaar aur Canada nikal (Go, get over this cricket fever and start packing for Canada).”
- According to some sources, Avinash was also invited by KKR and DC to attend the trial.
- As of 2022, he has played two cricket matches for East Central Railway India. He played the first match against Dhruv CA and second against Armed Police.
- Avinash was discovered through Hinterland Scouting, which is an AI-based scouting system that helps to screen out players across the country.
- In an interview, while talking about the financial condition of his family, Avinash Singh said,
I wanted to join the army, cricket was just a hobby. I never thought that I would get a chance to play professional cricket. My father is the only earner in the house. My two brothers are studying. I wasn’t doing anything. Our financial condition was not good. There was no money to buy shoes. Father asked me from where will you buy cricket kit, it is so expensive. That’s why I started making excuses to Mayank sir.”