Age: 48 Years Death Cause: Respiratory Disorders Death Date: 18/05/2012
|Profession(s)||Actor, Bodybuilder, Personal Trainer|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 178 cm
in meters– 1.78 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 10”
|Eye Colour||Hazel Green|
|Debut||Film (Malayalam): Prabhu (1979) as a villain
Film (Hindi): Jawaani (1984) as a hippie
|Last Film||Rocky- The Slave (shelved)|
|Date of Birth||9 June 1964 (Tuesday)|
|Birthplace||Kalyan, Maharashtra, India|
|Date of Death||18 May 2012|
|Place of Death||A hospital in Mumbai|
|Age (at the time of death)||48 Years|
|Death Cause||Respiratory Disorders News 18|
|Hometown||Kalyan, Maharashtra, India|
|School||St Peter’s School in Mumbai, Maharashtra (1975)|
|Ethnicity||Irish American (from father’s side) and Konkani Maharashtrian (from mother’s side) Telly Chakkar|
|Relationships & More|
|Marital Status (at the time of death)||Married
Note: In 2012, he got mutually separated from his wife.
Daughter(s)– Erika Packard (model, actor) and Kamille Kyla Packard
|Parents||Father– Earl Packard (computer expert)
|Siblings||He had four younger siblings including Earl, Daryl, and Barbara.|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Gavin Packard
- Gavin Packard was an Indian actor, bodybuilder, and personal trainer. He was of Irish American descent. He was known for his negative characters in various Hindi and Malayalam films.
- In school, he was inclined towards sports. He used to participate in various sports events at his school.
- Gavin’s grandfather, John Packard, was a US Army officer who once came to India with the US Army. His grandfather then decided to settle in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
- At a very young age, Gavin started developing an interest in bodybuilding. Gavin then did his professional training in bodybuilding along with Shera, the personal bodyguard of Salman Khan.
- In teens, he won various bodybuilding competitions at the state and national levels. Various Indian actors like Sanjay Dutt and Suniel Shetty did their fitness training under Gavin.
Gavin Packard with Sanjay Dutt
- He acted in various Malayalam films like ‘Aryan’ (1988), ‘Season’ (1989), ‘Jackpot’ (1993), and Boxer’ (1996).
Gavin Packard in Boxer
- He has also acted in many Hindi films. In the late 80s, he appeared in Hindi films like ‘Nafrat Ki Aandhi’ (1988), ‘Ilaaka’ (1989), and ‘Kahan Hai Kanoon’ (1989). He then acted in Hindi films like ‘Jurm’ (1990), ‘Sadak’ (1991), ‘Patthar Ke Phool’ (1991), ‘Chamatkar’ (1992), ‘Mohra’ (1994), and ‘Karan Arjun’ (1995).
Gavin Packard in Sadak
- In the late 90s, he acted in a few other Hindi films such as ‘Khiladiyon Ka Khiladi’ (1996), ‘Yeshwant’ (1997), ‘Gharwali Baharwali’ (1998), ‘Bade Miyan Chhote Miyan’ (1998), and ‘Pardesi Babu’ (1998).
Gavin Packard in Bade Miyan Chhote Miyan (1998)
- Gavin also acted in the DD National TV shows like ‘Indradhanush’ (1989), ‘Junoon’ (1994), and ‘Shaktimaan’ (1998).
- In 1994, he appeared in ‘The Maharaja’s Daughter,’ a TV mini-series.
- Gavin played small roles in various Hindi films like ‘Hadh Kar Di Aapne’ (2000), ‘Kunwara’ (2000), ‘Jaani Dushman: Ek Anokhi Kahani’ (2002), and ‘Guru Mahaaguru’ (2002).
Gavin Packard in Hadh Kar Di Aapne (2000)
- In 2004, he was featured in the Hindi music video ‘Cinderella’ by Sajjad Ali.
- In 2012, Gavin met with an accident while he was riding a bike in Kalyan Flower Market, Mumbai. A few local people recognised him and took him to a nearby hospital. Reportedly, he was heavily drunk at the time of the accident.
- On 18 May 2012, Gavin took his last breath at a hospital in Mumbai. As per some sources, in his last days, he lived with his younger brother Daryl Packard in Kalyan, Maharashtra. He was buried at the St. Andrews Burial Grounds in Bandra, Mumbai. The Indian actor Suniel Shetty shared his condolence on Gavin’s demise. In an interview, he said,
It makes me very sad to learn about Gavin’s death. He was a part of all my initial films. In fact, he was the one who got Sanju (Sanjay Dutt) into body building, Bahut acha aadmi tha par producers se paise maang nahi sakta tha. Then at the end of the day, it becomes a hand-to-mouth existence. We used to train together a lot and when it came to bodybuilding, he was a pioneer. He exactly knew about every muscle, food intake. Any action film you say, he was there.”
In an interview, while sharing grief on Gavin’s demise, Sanjay Dutt said,
He was like a brother to me. He introduced me to body building. I am a Godfather to his daughters also. I’ll pray for his peace. I am there for his family always. Gold bless his soul.”
- Gavin’s daughters consider the Indian actor Sanjay Dutt their godfather.
- He was fluent in various languages such as Hindi, English, Punjabi, and Gujarati.
- Gavin was acrophobic. In an interview, the Indian film director G S Vijayan talked about Gavin’s fear of heights. He said,
I remember him as a good, simple man. But I cannot forget how he behaved when we were shooting the climax of the film. Sreenivasan, the hero, was cool about shooting a scene at the top of a building but Gavin, despite all his villainy in movies, was shaking with fear.”
- After his demise, his younger brother started organising bodybuilding and fitness contests in memory of Gavin.