Mandakini is an Indian actress and spiritual guide who gained immense popularity with her debut Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985).
Mandakini aka Yasmeen/Yasmin Joseph was born on Tuesday, 30 July 1963 (age 59 years; as of 2022) in Meerut, Uttar Pradesh. Her zodiac sign is Leo.
Height (approx.): 5′ 5″
Hair Colour: Brown
Eye Colour: Hazel Blue
Mandakini was born in an Anglo-Indian family. She was born to a British father and Kashmiri mother.
Parents & Siblings
Her mother’s name is Munni Joseph. She has two brothers named Bhanu Joseph and Rustom Joseph. Bhanu is married to Gulshan Grover’s ex-wife Filomina. Mandakini’s younger sister, Chhoti, has down syndrome.
Mandakini with her mother and daughter
Husband & Children
In 1990, she got married to the Indian doctor Dr Kagyur T. Rinpoche Thakur, who was featured as a child model in the advertisement of Murphy radio.
A childhood photo of Mandakini’s husband as Murphy advertisement kid
The couple has a son named Rabbil Joseph, and a daughter named Rabze Inaaya.
An old photo of Mandakini with her husband and son
Mandakini and her son
Mandakini with her husband and daughter
In 1995, she made headlines when she was spotted with the Indian mafia gangster Dawood Ibrahim. The duo were spotted at a cricket stadium in Dubai. According to media sources, she was having an affair with him, and some news channels claimed that she have a child with Dawood. Later, Mandakini denied all such rumours. In an interview, in 2005, when she was asked about Dawood, she said,
How long will my name continue to be associated with Dawood. I have said earlier also that I have never had an affair with Dawood. 10 years ago my photo came with Dawood, then I used to go abroad often for shows.When I was performing in Dubai, then Dawood came and we met. I was like other filmmakers. There was no such thing as an affair between us. A photograph published in the newspaper in the year 1994-95 affected my career. It was said that I have married Dawood and I have a child with him. While I am married to a Mumbai based doctor, R Thakur and I have a child with him. We got married in the year 1990.”
Mandakini with Dawood Ibrahim
Mandakini follows Buddhism.
Mandakini started her career as a model and appeared in various print shoots.
Mandakini in a print advertisement
She has also worked as a model for many photoshoots.
Mandakini in a photoshoot
At the age of 22, she was spotted by the renowned Indian actor-director Raj Kapoor, who offered her the female lead in the Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985) opposite his youngest son Rajiv Kapoor. Mandakini played the role of Ganga in the film and gained immense popularity with her role in the film.
‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985)
In 1986, she made her Telugu debut with the film ‘Simhasanam’ in which she played the role of Visha Kanya.
In 1987, she appeared in another Telugu film ‘Bhargava Ramudu.’ In 1986, she sang songs for the music album ‘Dancing City’ released by the Indian musician Bappi Lahiri. Originally, the Indian singer Nazia Hassan recorded the songs, but after a tiff between Bappi and Nazia, Bappi Lahiri signed Mandakini.
‘Dancing City’ music album
She has appeared in many Hindi films such as ‘Aag Aur Shola’ (1986), ‘Pyaar Karke Dekho’ (1987), ‘Pyaar Mohabbat’ (1988), ‘Hisaab Khoon Ka’ (1989), and ‘Taqdeer Ka Tamasha’ (1990).
Mandakini on the sets of the film Aag Aur Shola
In 1990, she made her Bengali debut with the film ‘Andha Bichar’ as Lakshmi. Her other Bengali film is ‘Antarer Bhalobasha’ (1991) in which she played the role of Jhilik.
Antarer Bhalobasha (1991)
In 1990, she started a film production banner ‘A.M.A Productions’ along with her secretary Ajit Dewan and actor Aditya Pancholi. The name of the production was derived from the initials of their names. Later, after a tiff with her business partners, Mandakini left the production house. In 1996, she appeared in the Hindi film ‘Zordaar,’ and after that, she quit the Hindi film industry.
‘Zordaar’ film poster
In June 2022, after almost 26 years, she made a comeback in the Hindi entertainment industry with a music video “Maa O Maa.”
Maa O Maa music video poster
Bold Scene in Debut Film
In the Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985), she wore a sheer white saree for the song ‘Tujhe Bulayein Yeh Meri Bahein.’ in the film. She received criticism from the audience for such a bold scene in the film. .’
A snippet of Mandakini from the song ‘Tujhe Bulayein Yeh Meri Bahein’
Spotted with Dawood Ibrahim
Mandakini’s career faced a downfall after her picture with the don Dawood Ibrahim went viral on news channels. She was backlashed by the audience and media for having an alleged relationship with a gangster.
- The legendary Indian actor-director changed her screen name to Mandakini from Yasmeen/Yasmin Joseph.
- For her debut Hindi film ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985), she was nominated by Filmfare in the Best Actress category.
- Mandakini signed the Hindi film ‘Mazloom’ before ‘Ram Teri Ganga Maili’ (1985), and the director of the film wanted to change her name to ‘Madhuri,’
- She auditioned for the Hindi films ‘Betaab’ (1981) and ‘Lava’ (1983), but she was rejected in the audition round.
- In the Hindi film ‘Once Upon A Time In Mumbaai Dobaara!’ (2013), the character of Sonakshi Sinha was loosely based on Mandakini.
- She is an avid animal lover and has a pet dog named Simba.
Mandakini with her pet dog
- She has received various awards including the Golden Jubilee award.
Mandakini holding her award
- She has been featured on the cover page of various magazines.
Mandakini featured on a magazine cover
- Mandakini’s paternal grandfather was the key person to put underwater telephone cable wires in England, and he was a millionaire.
- Mandakini quit acting in films because after her photo with Dawood went viral, producers stopped offering her work in their films.
- After quitting Hindi films, she started working as a spiritual guide. After her marriage to a former monk, she started following Buddhism. In an interview, while talking about it, she said,
I was initiated into Tibetan yoga years ago when I was seeking solace from the rigors of the film industry. My teacher was my husband, who is deeply into spirituality.”