Irtiza Rubab (Meera) is a Pakistani actress, model, TV presenter and humanitarian. She is best known for her work as an actress in Punjabi, Urdu and Hindi films and dramas. She made her Bollywood debut with an Indo-Pakistani film, Nazar (2005), opposite Ashmit Patel. She has won the Nigar Award two times in her lifetime for her astonishing acting skills in the Urdu films “Khilona” (1996) and “Inteha” (1999). She is an acclaimed actress and won the Pride of Performance Award from the Government of Pakistan in 2012.
Meera was born on 12 May 1977, (age 45 years; as of 2022) in Sheikhupura, Punjab, Pakistan. (Born with the name Irtiza Rubab, she got popular by her stage name Meera). The original name of the veteran actress is Irtiza Rubab, but she has gained fame with her stage name Meera. She has completed her graduation from Kinnard College for Women, Lahore, Pakistan. During her studies, her diligent participation in plays added to her interest in acting and made her pursue acting as her career. Meera began her career in acting with the Urdu film “Kanta” in 1995. She has worked in more than 60 films. She made her debut in Bollywood with the film “Nazar” (2005). She has also worked in various dramas, among which “Mein Sitara”(2016) is the most notable one. Apart from acting in films and television, Meera made her debut as a director with the film “Oscar” (2016). Meera remains in the eyes of the public due to her controversies and is known as a controversy queen.
Meera in her youth
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 62 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Parents & Siblings
Meera belongs to a Syed family. She is the daughter of Syed Mohammad Sarwar Shah and Shafqat Rubab. She has five siblings, Shaista Abbasi, Syed Ahsan Abbas, Syeda Hussain, Rubab Aqsa and Murtaza Ahsan.
Meera with her parents
She tied wedlock with a businessman, Sheikh Attiq-ur-Rehman in 2007. Later, she refused the claim and filed a case against it in 2011. But in 2018, she was declared married to him by the Lahore family court by confirming her honeymoon photographs and marriage certificate. Later she married Naveed Pervaiz in 2013.
Meera Jee with her husband Captain Naveed Pervaiz
In an interview with Geo News Channel, the gorgeous actress Meera claimed that she had an affair with Pakistani Cricketer, Shoaib Akhtar but he didn’t appreciate her. She stated,
It was an intense affair and I wasted one precious year of my life waiting for him. I was committed and sincere to him. But he didn’t appreciate me,”.
But later, Shoaib denied the accusations and said that he was never engaged in any romantic relationship with the actress. In another talk with Geo News, Meera revealed that the Bollywood actor Emraan Hashmi had offered her a proposal for marriage, but she denied it because of her family. She also disclosed that once the Bollywood filmmaker Mahesh Bhatt advised her to marry the actor Ashmit Patel, but due to the difference in religion, she rejected/disagreed with the advice. Moreover, indicating her desire to marry the Bollywood Star, Salman Khan, she said in one of her interviews that it would be very difficult for her to refuse the proposal of Dabang Star if he ever does it.
An old photograph of Meera with Salman Khan
Meera has built a successful career in acting and modelling. She has worked in more than 60 films and various TV dramas. On account of her acting skills, Meera has earned good fame in Lollywood, and also tried her hand in Bollywood.
Meera started her acting career in 1995 with the Urdu film “Kanta”.She has worked in numerous Punjabi, Urdu, and Hindi films. She has won the Nigar Award for the first time for her performance, in a lead role in the film “Khilona” (1996).
Poster for the film ‘Khilona’ (1996)
Later, her other Urdu film “Inteha” (1999) got massive success, and she received her second Nigar Award for the same. She played the lead role in the film “Hotal” (2014), which was the first psychological thriller film in Pakistan. At the 3rd Delhi International Film Festival, she received the Best Actress Award for her marvellous performance in “Hotal”. Her role as Shamshera, in the film “Baaji” (2019) has earned her massive fame, as the film has gained huge success at the box office.
Meera as Shamshera in a still from the film ‘Baaji’ (2019)
Meera made her debut in Bollywood with the Indo-Pakistani film “Nazar” (2005), directed by Soni Razdan.
Poster for the film ‘Nazar’ (2005)
She made her second appearance in Bollywood with the film “Kasak” (2005), opposite Lucky Ali. She also appeared in “Paanch Ghantey Mein Paanch Crore” (2012) and “Bhadaas” (2013). She has also performed an item song in the film “Bumper Draw.” Although she tried her hand at Bollywood, she didn’t taste much success in it.
In addition to the films, Meera has also acted in various television dramas. She started with the drama “Husan Ara Kaun” in 2010, which aired on TV One. Her roles as Naseem Dilruba in “Mein Sitara” (2016) and Madam Kaali in “Naagin” (2017) were among the most notable.
Meera as Naseem Dilruba in the Drama ‘Mein Sitara’ (2016)
Meera as Madam Kaali in the Drama ‘Naagin’ (2018)
Meera started her career in modelling when she was in high school. She achieved highs in modelling at a very young age.
Meera in her Modelling Days
She appeared in the ads of Pepsi and Lux, even when she was in her mid-teens. Meera is among the top supermodels in Pakistan.
The lawsuit filed against her Marriage
In 2010, Meera filed a lawsuit against a businessman from Faisalabad, Sheikh Attiq-ur-Rehman, who claimed to be her husband. She remain entangled in this case for 7 years. According to Rehman, the couple tied the wedlock in a private ceremony in 2007. He presented the marriage certificate and some photographs as evidence. But Meera denied all the allegations. When Meera revealed her parent’s acceptance of the marriage proposal from Naveed Shehzad, who is a Pakistani-American airline captain and also her family friend, Rehman, her alleged husband, filed an application against Meera’s allegations. He said that Meera cannot marry someone else before having a divorce from him, as it is against Islamic laws.
Alleged Marriage photos of Meera with Attiq-ur-Rehman
Case against Alleged Abortion
In 2012, a man named Islam appealed to register a countersuit in a Pakistani court, against Meera for having an alleged abortion.
Allegation for Controversial Video Clip on Social Media
In 2014, a case was filed against Meera and her husband Capt Naveed by FIA (Federation Investigation Agency) over sharing a ‘controversial video clip’ on social media.
Awards and Honours
- Meera, for her performance in the film “Khilona,” received her first Nigar Award in 1999.
- She won her second Nigar Award for her brilliant performance in the film “Inteha” as the Best Actress of the Year.
- In 2012, Meera was honoured with the Pride of Performance Award from the Government of Pakistan, for her ability to capture the character.
Meera received the Award of Pride of Performance from President Asif Ali Zardari in 2012
- At the 3rd Delhi International Film Festival, Meera received the Award for Best Actress for her realistic acting in the first Pakistani thriller film “Hotal” in 2014.
Poster for the film ‘Hotal’
- On the occasion of the 65th Independence Day of Pakistan, the announcement for Civil Award was made, in which Meera was announced as the recipient of the Award ‘Sitara-i-Imtiaz’.
- Meera received the award of Best Actress at the International Pakistan Prestige Awards (IPPA) 2021, in Istanbul, Turkey.
Meera received the Award for Best Actress at IPPA 2021, in Istanbul, Turkey
- Besides being a good actress, Meera also has a good heart. Meer has performed in an event in New York to raise the funds for Pakistani flood victims. She said that she is ready to perform anywhere in the world to help the flood affectees. She shared a post on Instagram for the same and ask her fans to join hands to help the flood victims.
Meera’s Instagram Post about her performance in New York for the flood victims in Pakistan (2022)
- In 2018, Meera visited a school for special children in Karachi and spend her day with students. She made an announcement there to donate PKR 25,000 to Diamer Bhasha Dam Funds. She shared her experience of visiting the school for special children on Twitter.
It was wonderful to celebrate the day with special kids today .#karachi pic.twitter.com/QwaSML1Z9h
— Meera (@TheMeeraJee) September 10, 2018
- Meera was nominated at the Lux Style Awards for Best Film Actress – Viewers’ Choice and Critics Choice for the film “Baaji” in 2020.
- She was voted one of the most beautiful stars of Pakistan in 2000.
- Meera’s mother, Shafqat Rubab, has been kidnapped by the land grabbers. In an interview with “The Express Tribune,” she said,
I am being threatened by Mian Shahid Mahmood, he is a land-grabber who is trying to illegally take over my family property after agreeing to live there as a tenant. This person kidnapped my mother and now he is doing his best to get hold of my family property.”
- In 2011, Meera joined the ruling party of Prime Minister Imran Khan, Pakistan Tehreek-e-Insaf (PTI).