Pinki Singh is an Indian lawn bowler who is known for winning the gold medal against South Africa in the final lawn bowl at the 2022 Commonwealth Games.
Pinki Singh was born on Thursday, 14 August 1980 (age 42 years; as of 2020) in New Delhi. Her zodiac sign is Leo. She pursued a cricket course at the National Institute of Sport, Patiala.
Height (approx.): 5′ 4″
Weight (approx.): 55 kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
There is not much information available about her family.
Pinki started her career in 2009 when she participated in Asia Pacific Bowls Championships and won the bronze medal. In 2014, she won the bronze medal in women’s triples at Asian Lawn Bowls Championship. In 2016, she took part in the Asian Lawn Bowls Championship and won silver in women’s triple and the bronze medal in women’s fours. In 2017, she took part in the Asian Lawn Bowls Championship and won a gold medal in women’s triples.
- Pinki is coached by Madhukant Pathak, who is a former cricket umpire.
- She started working as a cricket coach at Delhi Public School, RK Puram in 2005 after pursuing a cricket course at the National Institute of Sport, Patiala.
Pinki Singh with her students after winning a tournament
- She got an interest in lawn bowling in 2007 when she saw players practising in her school.
- In an interview, the principal of her school said that she was proud of Pinki for winning the gold. She further added,
I had met her before she travelled (to Birmingham) and she was full of confidence. Before leaving, she told me ‘Iss baar toh kuchh lekar aaungi (I won’t come back empty-handed this time).”
- In an interview, her colleagues said that she suffered from COVID-19 and a knee injury because of which she was not able to train properly, but they were happy with the result. Her colleague Mandeep Tiwani talked about her and said,
Ever since she started representing India, I have seen her drive and focus towards her sport. Training always came first, no matter what personal turmoil she went through.”
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi took to Twitter to congratulate the team for winning gold at CWG and said,
Historic win in Birmingham! India is proud of Lovely Choubey, Pinki Singh, Nayanmoni Saikia and Rupa Rani Tirkey for bringing home the prestigious Gold in Lawn Bowls. The team has demonstrated great dexterity and their success will motivate many Indians towards Lawn Bowls.”
- In an interview, she expressed her feelings after winning the medal at CWG and said,
I am speechless. But I am elated. I can’t explain the feeling right now because it is a dream come true for me. 11 years ago we lost by 1 point. Now we got it.”
Pinki Singh with her team at the CWG after winning the medal