Hometown: Chennai, Tamil Nadu Husband: R. Sarathkumar Age: 59 Years
|Other Name||Radikaa Sarathkumar Facebook – Radikaa Sarathkumar|
|Profession(s)||Actress, Producer, Entrepreneur, Politician|
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 161 cm
in meters– 1.61 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 3”
|Film & TV Career|
|Debut||Film (Malayalam; As an actor): Swarna Medal (1977) in a supporting role
Film (Tamil; As an actor): Kizhakke Pogum Rail (1978) as Panchaali
Film (Hindi; As an actor): Hamaare Tumhare (1979) as Sonia
Film (Telugu; As an actor): Nyayam Kavali (1981) as Bharathi Devi
Film (Kannada; As an actor): Prachanda Kulla (1983) as Pushpa Devi
TV (Tamil; As an actor): Penn (1991; DD Madras) as Hema
TV (Telugu; As an actor): Idhi Katha Kadu (1998; ETV)
Web Series (Telugu; As an actor): Gaalivaana (2022; ZEE5) as Saraswathi
|Awards, Honours, Achievements||National Film Awards
• 1985: Indira Gandhi Award for Best Debut Film as a Producer for Tamil film Meendum Oru Kaathal Kathai
Filmfare Awards South
• 1981: Best Actress-Telugu for Nyayam Kavali
• 1986: Best Actress-Tamil for Dharma Devathai
• 1988: Best Actress-Tamil for Needhikku Thandanai
• 1991: Best Actress-Tamil for Keladi Kanmani
• 2014: Lifetime Achievement Award – South for Overall Contribution to Tamil Cinema
• 2016: Best Supporting Actress for Tamil film Thanga Magan
Tamil Nadu State Film Awards
Note: She has many more accolades to her name.
|Political Party||• AIADMK (May 2006-October 2006)
• All India Samathuva Makkal Katchi (2007-Present)
|Political Journey||• May 2006: Joined AIADMK along with her husband
• 18 October 2006: Expelled from AIADMK for anti-party activities
• 2007: Joined All India Samathuva Makkal Katchi as Vice President
|Date of Birth||21 August 1963 (Wednesday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||29 Years|
|Birthplace||Colombo, Sri Lanka|
|Hometown||Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|School||Good Shepherd Convent, Chennai, Tamil Nadu|
|Ethnicity||Tamilian The News Minute|
|Food Habit||Non-vegetarian Instagram – Raadhika Sarathkumar|
|Address||R. Sarathkumar, Kalyani Nagar, Kottivakkam, Chennai- 600 041|
|Controversies||• Sentenced to Jail in Cheque Bounce Case
In 2018, a real estate company named The Radiant Group filed a cheque bounce case on Raadhika and her husband R. Sarathkumar. Earlier, in 2015, Raadhika and her husband took a loan of Rs 50 Lakh from The Radiant Group and issued 5 undated cheques of Rs 10 lakh each to the company. However, the cheques got bounced. The couple even plead to the Madras High Court to cancel the criminal proceedings against them, but in 2019, the court denied the plea and directed a fast-track court in Saidapet, Chennai, to complete the proceedings of the case within 6 months. In 2021, the couple was sentenced to jail for one year and a fine of Rs 5 crore. The Times of India
• Criticised for Negatively Portraying #metoo Movement Victim
In 2013, in one of the episodes of her TV series ‘Vani Rani,’ her character in the series was seen using the #MeToo movement as a blackmailing tactic. In October 2018, amid the rage of the #metoo Movement, she was criticised by the netizens for playing such a role. In one of her tweets, she gave clarification to it. The Times of India She tweeted,
“I have been in this industry for a long time and stood up for everyone’s rights, specially when it concerned women, which everyone in the industry know. If you have any clarification’s on the content of above mentioned serial, pls feel free to meet me in my office.”
|Relationships & More|
|Marriage Date||• First Marriage– m. 1985-div. 1986
• Second Marriage– m. 1990-div. 1992
• Third Marriage– m. 2001-present
|Husband/Spouse||• First Husband– Pratap Pothen (actor, director, scriptwriter, producer, and filmmaker)
• Second Husband– Richard Hardy
|Children||Son– Rahul Sarathkumar (from R. Sarathkumar)
Daughter– Rayanne Hardy (from Richard Hardy; married to Indian cricketer Abhimanyu Mithun)
|Parents||Father– Madras Rajagopalan Radhakrishnan (actor and politician)
Mother– Geetha (a Sri Lankan; fifth wife of her father Madras Rajagopalan Radhakrishnan)
Stepmother(s)– Saraswathi, Dhanalakshmi, Premavathi, and Jayammal
|Siblings||Brother(s)– M. R. Radha Rajoo and M. R. Radha Mohan (both younger)
Half-Brother(s)– M. R. R. Vasu (actor; from stepmother
Saraswathi) and Madras Rajagopalan Radhakrishnan Ravi (politician and actor; from stepmother Dhanalakshmi)
Sister– Nirosha aka Niroja (film & TV actress; image in parents’ section)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Raadhika Sarathkumar
- Raadhika Sarathkumar is an Indian actress, producer, entrepreneur, and politician. She mainly works in South Indian films. She is known for being the founder of one of the popular South Indian film production companies named Radaan Mediaworks in Chennai.
- She is the daughter of the veteran South Indian actor Madras Rajagopalan who misfired a gunshot on the Indian actor and politician MG Ramachandran in 1967. In an interview, Raadhika shared that after the incident, her father was imprisoned due to which
- her family faced many problems. She said,
My mother did not want me to be exposed to what was happening here. I was studying in Chennai initially, but when my father was having his problems, we went to Colombo and I was studying there. I went to London when I was 14. I wanted to do a course there, but I was travelling back and forth between London and India.”
Raadhika Sarathkumar’s childhood picture with her mother
- In 1977, the Indian film director Bharathiraja saw some of her photos and offered a role in his next film. In an interview, she said that she never wanted to become an actor.
- She started a proprietary business Radaan Mediaworks in 1998 which was converted into a corporate entity in 1999 in Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.
- Raadhika started her acting career with Tamil films. In 1979, she acted in Tamil films like ‘Inikkum Ilamai,’ ‘Niram Maaratha Pookkal,’ ‘Velum Mayilum Thunai,’ and ‘Anbae Sangeetha.’
Anbae Sangeetha film poster
- In 1980, she appeared in around 15 Tamil films including ‘Soolam,’ ‘Anna Paravai,’ ‘Aayiram Vaasal Idhayam,’ ‘Bhama Rukmani,’ and ‘Idhayaththil Ore Idam.’
- Some of her other Tamil films from 1981 to 1985 are ‘Kannitheevu’ (1981), ‘Eera Vizhi Kaaviyangal’ (1982), ‘Veetula Raman Veliyila Krishnan’ (1983), ‘Dhavani Kanavugal’ (1984), ‘Naane Raja Naane Mandhiri’ (1985), and ‘Raja Rishi’ (1985).
‘Naane Raja Naane Mandhiri’ (1985)
- In the late 1980s, she acted in Tamil films like ‘Veerapandiyan’ (1987), ‘Poonthotta Kaavalkaaran’ (1988), ‘Theri’ (2016), ‘Vaanam Kottatum’ (2020), ‘Jail’ (2021), and ‘Pattathu Arasan’ (2022).
Pattathu Arasan (2022)
- Raadhika has also acted in Telugu films. She appeared in more than 120 Telugu films from 1981 to 1989. Some of her popular Telugu films are ‘Bezawada Bebbuli’ (1983), ‘Patnam Vachina Pativrathalu’ (1982), ‘Raja the Great’ (2017), and ‘Krishna Vrinda Vihari’ (2022).
- She has also dubbed many Tamil films including ‘Mudhal Mariyathai’ (1985), ‘Kadalora Kavithaigal’ (1986), ‘Inaindha Kaigal’ (1990), and ‘Karuthamma’ (1994).
- Raadhika has appeared in Kannada films like ‘Jeevana Chakra’ (1985), ‘Sathyam Shivam Sundaram’ (1987), and ‘Nagini’ (1991).
‘Jeevana Chakra’ (1985)
- She has also appeared in a few Hindi films such as ‘Naseeb Apna Apna’ (1986), ‘Aaj Ka Arjun’ (1990), ‘Himmatwala’ (1998), and ‘Lal Baadshah’ (1999).
Naseeb Apna Apna film poster
- In the 90s era, she appeared in more than 40 Tamil films. Some of her Tamil films from the 90s era are ‘Kizhakku Cheemayile’ (1993), ‘Pasumpon’ (1995), ‘Rani Maharaani’ (1995), ‘Suryavamsam’ (1997), ‘Jeans’ (1998), ‘Ethirum Pudhirum’ (1999), and ‘Kummi Paatu’ (1999).
- Some of her Malayalam films are ‘Justice Raja’ (1983), ‘Makan Ente Makan’ (1985), ‘Arthana’ (1993), ‘Ramaleela’ (2017), and ‘Ittymaani: Made in China’ (2019).
- Apart from acting in films, she has also directed a few Tamil TV serials and Telefilms. In 1997, she worked as a director and screenwriter in the Tamil TV serial ‘Naalavathu Mudichu,’ which aired on DD.
- In 1999, she worked as a director and actor in the Tamil telefilm ‘Siragugal,’ which aired on Sun TV.
- Raadhika has also appeared in Tamil TV serials. Some of her Tamil TV serials are ‘Naalavathu Mudichu’ (1997; DD Madras), ‘Annamalai’ (2002; Sun TV), ‘Chellamay’ (2009; Sun TV), ‘Vaani Rani’ (2013; Sun TV), and ‘Ponni C/O Rani’ (2022; Kalaignar TV).
- On 18 October 2006, she was expelled from the political party AIADMK for her anti-party activities. In an interview, Raadhika talked about it. She said,
I am surprised that I have been expelled from the party. In reality, I am not even a member of the AIADMK. I was actually shocked when she (Ms Jayalalithaa) gave the card to me. However, out of respect for my husband and Jayalalithaa, I accepted it. But I am not a member of the AIADMK or any party for that matter. I am not into politics.”
In another interview, she said that in the 1989 elections, she campaigned for the DMK. She said,
Knowing the family, they requested me to campaign for the party and I did that. But other than that, I was not actively involved in politics.”
- In 2007, in an interview, she talked about joining her husband’s party, she said,
I will be doing more greater things through it. Politics is an extension of social service. I want to give back a little of the love you have been showering me with all these years. I am sure of doing it. I will surely be working for you.”
- In the same year, she worked as a host in the Telugu TV show ‘Bangaram Mee Kosam,’ which was aired on Gemini TV.
‘Bangaram Mee Kosam’ (2007)
- Some of her Telugu TV serials as an actor are ‘Ammayi Kaapuram’ (2007; Gemini TV) and ‘No. 23 Mahalakshmi Nivasam’ (2010; Gemini TV).
‘Ammayi Kaapuram’ (2007)
- She has been invited as a guest in various Telugu TV shows like ‘Alitho Saradaga’ (2020; aired on ETV) and ‘Unstoppable With NBK Season 2’ (2022; aired on Aha Telugu).
‘Unstoppable With NBK Season 2’ (2022)
- She has also hosted a few Tamil TV shows like ‘Thangavettai’ (2007; Sun TV) and ‘Kodeeswari’ (2019; Colors Tamil).
- She has appeared in a few other Tamil TV shows like ‘Kaiyil Oru Kodi – Are You Ready?’ (2012; contestant, aired on Sun TV), ‘Koffee with DD’ (2014; guest, aired on Vijay TV), and ‘Natchathira Jodi’ (2020; guest, aired on Sun TV).
- In her leisure time, she loves to cook food and travel with her family.
- Raadhika regularly practices yoga.
- Her favourite quote is Laugh While you can, No Pain No Gain.
- She has a Land Rover car. My Neta
- In an interview, she talked about marrying R. Sarathkumar. She said,
Sarath and I have been friends for a really long time. I used to be his agony aunt. We used to talk a lot, share stories. We used to go out and we became close. My mother said marrying him was a good idea, and that it will provide security to Rayane too. At some point, it worked out such that I was thinking, why not?”
- Raadhika has appeared on the cover of the magazine Just For Women.
Raadhika Sarathkumar featured on a magazine cover
- She has also been featured in TV commercials for brands like Pranav Jewelers, Chennai Silks, and Manna Health Mix.
|↑1||Facebook – Radikaa Sarathkumar|
|↑2||The News Minute|
|↑3||Instagram – Raadhika Sarathkumar|
|↑4||The Times of India|
|↑5||The Times of India|