Age: 40 Years
Education: BTech (Metallurgy)
|Full name||Rinku Singh Rahee National Herald|
|Famous for||• Being the whistleblower in the 2009 Muzaffarnagar scam.
• Securing an AIR of 683 in the 2021 UPSC examinations.
|Service||Uttar Pradesh-Provincial Civil Services (UP-PCS)|
|Date of Birth||20 May 1982 (Thursday)|
|Age (as of 2022)||40 Years|
|Birthplace||Dori Nagar, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|Hometown||Dori Nagar, Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh|
|School||Government Inter College, Aligarh|
|College/University||National Institute of Technology
Tata Institute of Technology
|Educational Qualification||BTech (Metallurgy) National Herald|
|Relationships & More|
|Wife/Spouse||Name not known|
|Children||Rinkoo Rahee has a son|
Father– Shivdan Singh (flour mill owner)
Mother– Name not known (homemaker)
|Siblings||He has a brother and a sister|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Rinkoo Rahee
- Rinkoo Rahee is an Indian whistleblower and a civil servant, presently serving as a UP’s Provincial Civil Services (PCS) officer. He is known for unearthing the Rs 83 Crore Muzaffarnagar Welfare Department scam in 2009. In his 16th attempt, Rinkoo Rahee secured an All India Rank of 683 in the UPSC 2021 examinations.
- Rinkoo Rahee comes from a lower-middle-class family. Therefore, his father could not afford his education in a convent school, and he had to complete his schooling at a Government school. In an interview, Rinkoo claimed,
My father was good at studies but had to drop out to take care of the family. I grew up listening to these stories of exploitation and thought that had government officials been honest, we could have benefitted from several schemes. This is what drove me all along.”
- Since childhood, Rinkoo Rahee was a brilliant student. He was offered a scholarship for obtaining good marks in class 12th.
- Rinkoo Rahee completed his graduation in 2002. In 2004, Rinkoo appeared and cleared the UPPSC examination in his first attempt.
- Rinkoo Rahee was given his first posting, in 2008, as a District Social Welfare Officer (DSWO) at Muzaffarnagar, Uttar Pradesh.
- In 2008, while conducting an audit as a DSWO, Rinkoo Rahee found several discrepancies in the distribution and allocations of funds under several social schemes which were implemented by the Social Welfare Department of Muzaffarnagar.
- While conducting the investigation, Rinkoo found out that not only did the department openly flout the norms laid by the Uttar Pradesh Government, of holding an annual meeting with the elected MPs or MLAs from Muzaffarnagar, but was also embezzling the funds allocated for the benefit of the BPL families.
- In the same year, he exposed another scam in the Old Age Pension Scheme. Rinkoo found out that the department, in its official records, had mentioned that there were 62,447 pensioners, whereas, in reality, the department gave an annual pension of Rs 3,600 to just 47,707 pensioners.
- Unearthing another scam in 2008, Rinkoo found that the department, in its accounts book, had mentioned that it had distributed Rs 5.5 Crore among 22,000 OBC students and Rs 11 Crore among Muzaffarnagar’s BPL families. The audit revealed that the department had made false entries in its records.
- In 2009, a few days before Rinkoo Rahee was attacked, he had lodged a complaint with the District Magistrate (DM) Bhuvneesh Kumar, about the discrepancies found during the audit of the department.
- On the morning of 26 March 2009, Rinkoo Rahee was playing badminton on his residential premises, when some armed men attacked Rinkoo and fired several rounds of bullets. Rinkoo was hit seven times and was grievously injured. He was shot thrice in the face. Another bullet pierced the back of his skull and came out through his right eye. As a result of the deadly attack, he was blinded in the right eye and his hearing capability was severely affected. In an interview, Rinku said,
It was a tough job with the mafia and touts dominating the scene and interested in schemes of the social welfare department. They were in cohorts with my office staff, including an accountant, and when I refused to toe the line, I was fired at while I was playing badminton at my residence in Muzaffarnagar. When I was being harassed, I was not fighting the system but the system was fighting me. I stayed in the hospital for four months. My leave on medical is not approved yet.”
Rinkoo Rahee in a hospital after the attack
- After the attack, the police registered an FIR against the assailants and arrested nine conspirators, including Ashok Kashyap, an Assistant Accountant in the Welfare Department and Mukesh Chaudhary, a Samajwadi Party leader.
- Upon recovering from his injuries in 2009, Rinkoo applied for an RTI asking for the data regarding the disbursement of funds from 2006 to 2009. However, the response he got from the Central Information Commission (CIC) was not satisfactory and Rinkoo decided to hold a protest, opposite Vidhan Sabha, in Lucknow, with a demand that the CIC must answer all of his queries. In an interview, Rinkoo said,
I wanted to know where the unused funds went. To know the details, I had filed an application under the RTI Act demanding details. I have also asked for details about beneficiaries but did not receive full details. I had also filed an appeal against it.”
- In 2010, Rinkoo Rahee was posted as a District Social Welfare Officer in Bhadohi.
- In 2012, Rinkoo Rahee once again staged a protest against the inactivity of the UP Government in cracking down on the culprits of the 2009 Muzaffarnagar scam.
- Failing to persuade Rinkoo to stop his protest, in 2012, the UP Government ordered the UP Police to arrest Rinkoo and admit him to the Psychiatric Ward. In an interview, he stated,
I was attacked in Mayawati’s regime and during Akhilesh’s regime, I was sent to the psychiatry department because I used to speak against corruption and corrupt practices. I presented facts of the scam before the senior officials of the department, but none of them cooperated. Even information sought under the Right to Information Act has not been provided”
- On 25 March 2012, Rinkoo participated in a one-day hunger strike with the social activist Anna Hazare and even delivered a speech at Jantar Mantar.
- On 26 March 2012, the CIC responded by answering only two out of five of his queries. Thus, Rinkoo, once again, went on a hunger strike in Lucknow, demanding the CIC to answer all of his queries, which were listed in his RTI.
2012 newspaper cutout informing about Rinkoo Rahee’s hunger strike at Lucknow
- In 2012, Rinkoo Rahee was posted to Shravasti, Lalitpur and then Hapur. From Hapur in 2012, he was finally posted to his hometown at Aligarh, as the Director of the UP Government-run IAS PCS Pre-Examination Coaching Center of Madrak. Under his leadership, many aspiring candidates successfully cleared their UPSC exams.
A newspaper cutout informing about the students who have been selected from the IAS PCS Pre-Examination Coaching Center, Madrak
- In 2012, upon getting shunted and transferred to Aligarh, the Samajwadi Party-led UP Government received criticism from Arvind Kejriwal, who back then was with Anna Hazare, participating in the anti-corruption movement. Arvind Kejriwal accused the UP Government of corruption, murder and assault.
- After making a complete recovery in 2009, Rinkoo Rahee was threatened several times. While giving an interview, he stated,
I was sent to an insignificant place after the attack. I would have been killed as they still threatened me with dire consequences but the government has not taken any action against them till date. Every year Rs 35 to 40 crore is swindled in connivance with the babus in the department and those who oppose are either shunted out or intimidated.”
- In an interview, Rinkoo Rahee said that he used to give tuition for twenty hours, at a stretch, to the aspirants and it was his students, who insisted that he should appear for the UPSC examinations.
- Rinkoo Rahee believes in putting forward his duty towards the people as a priority, even above his family.
- Rinkoo, during his service, was offered a bribe many times. During an interview, he said,
It’s not that temptation didn’t knock on my doors. But I knew that if I ever indulged in nefarious activities, someone else and their child may suffer too.”
- Rinkoo Rahee believes that he has learned to handle the threat looming upon his life in a much better way. He now posts all the proof he has, on his social media account. While giving an interview, Rinkoo said,
I have also learnt how to handle these issues in a much better manner. At the time of the attack, all the proof of the scam was with me. So my death would have removed all the evidence. But now I make my observations in a very transparent way and post them on social media.”
|↑1, ↑2||National Herald|