Marital Status: Married Husband: Sourabh Modi Hometown: Korba, Chhattīsgarh
|Names earned||Super CM Fast Mail News|
|Other name||• Soumya Chaurasia The Times of India
• Soumya Chaurasiya The Wire
|Physical Stats & More|
|Height (approx.)||in centimeters– 161 cm
in meters– 1.61 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 3”
|Age (as of 2022)||Not known|
|Birthplace||Korba, Chhattīsgarh, India|
|Hometown||Korba, Chhattīsgarh, India|
|Address||A-21, Surya Residency, Bhilai, Chattisgarh|
|Controversy||Booked for alleged connection in money laundering case
On 2 December 2022, the Enforcement Directorate (ED) arrested Saumya for her involvement in the money laundering case under criminal sections of the Prevention of Money Laundering Act (PMLA). The Enforcement Directorate (ED) accused Saumya of working in close association with Suryakant Tiwari, a coal trader, and allegedly demanding and extorting money from coal and mining transporters from Chattisgarh. The Income Tax department retrieved the Whatsapp chats of Saumya and Suryakant in which it was revealed that she had shared some confidential official information with him. The ED officials claimed that by using the powerful political influence of Saumya, Suryakant, and his associates, collected over Rs 500 crores of illegitimate funds by extorting an illegal levy of Rs 25 per tonne from every tonne of coal transported in Chhattisgarh since 2021. In an interview, Bhupesh Baghel expressed his resentment over arresting Saumya and posted a tweet, which read,
As I have been saying, the arrest of my Deputy Secretary Saumya Chaurasia by the ED is a political act. We will fight against it with all our might.” Hindustan Times
|Relationships & More|
|Husband/Spouse||Sourabh Modi (former employee at Bharat Aluminium Company Ltd.)|
|Parents||Father– Name not known
Mother– Shanti Devi Chaurasia
|Other Relative||Mother-in-law– Asha Mani Modi|
|Siblings||Saumya has two siblings|
Some Lesser Known Facts About Saumya Chaurasia
- Saumya Chaurasia is an Indian civil servant who was appointed as the Deputy Secretary to the 3rd Chief Minister of Chattisgarh Bhupesh Baghel in 2008.
- In 2008, Saumya cleared the Chhattisgarh Administrative Service (CAS) test.
- While completing her training in the Bilaspur district in Chattisgarh, Saumya was appointed as the SDM in Pendra and Bilaspur.
- In 2011, Saumya was transferred to the Durg district in Chattisgarh, where she served as the SDM in Bhilai and Patan.
- In March 2016, Saumya was appointed as the first commissioner of the Bhilai Charoda Municipal Corporation.
- In 2016, Saumya was posted as Additional Commissioner in Raipur Municipal Corporation, and she was allotted charge of departments like Finance and General Administration
- In 2018, Saumya joined the Chief Minister’s office and was appointed as the Deputy Secretary to Bhupesh Baghel, who took oath as the 3rd Chief Minister of Chattisgarh on 17 December 2018.
- In February 2020, Saumya’s residence in Bhilai was raided by the Income Tax department, but nothing was retrieved following which Bhagel expressed his resentment by officially writing a letter to Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi in which he termed the Income Tax raids as “unconstitutional” and “politically motivated.”
- In July 2022, Saumya’s house in Bhilai, Chattisgarh was raided by the Income Tax department and they recovered undisclosed cash and jewellery worth Rs 14 crore following which it was perceived that she had evaded income tax worth crores.
The Income Tax team at Saumya Chaurasia’s residence in Bhilai, Chattisgarh
|↑1||Fast Mail News|
|↑2||The Times of India|