Venugopal Dhoot is an Indian businessman. He is the chairman, CEO, and managing director of Videocon, an Indian multinational conglomerate. In 2022, he was arrested by CBI in the ICICI-Videocon loan fraud case.
Venugopal Nandlal Dhoot was born on Sunday, 30 September 1951 (age 71 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai. His zodiac sign is Libra. He pursued a bachelor’s degree in mechanical engineering at the College of Engineering, Pune University in Pune, Maharashtra.
Height (approx.): 5′ 8″
Weight (approx.): 65 kg
Hair Colour: Salt & pepper
Eye Colour: Dark brown
Venugopal Dhoot was born in a Hindu family in Mumbai, India.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot, is the founder of Videocon Group.
Venugopal Dhoot’s father
He has two brothers named Rajkumar Nandlal Dhoot and Pradipkumar Nandlal Dhoot. Rajkumar Dhoot is a politician and businessman; he is a member of the Shiv Sena Party and promoter and co-owner of the Videocon Group of Companies. Pradipkumar Dhoot is a managing director of Videocon Hydrocarbon Holdings Limited.
Venugopal Dhoot with his brothers (From left – Pradipkumar Dhoot, Rajkumar Dhoot, and Venugopal Dhoot)
Wife & Children
He is married to Ramabai Dhoot, who is one of the board members of Videocon Group.
Venugopal Dhoot with his wife
He has a son named Anirudh Dhoot, who is the director of Videocon Group.
Venugopal Dhoot’s son Anirudh Dhoot
He has two daughters named Surabhi Dhoot and Tanushri Dhoot.
Venugopal Dhoot’s daughter Surabhi Dhoot with her husband
A wedding day image of Tanushri Dhoot and Vivek Biyani
He follows Hinduism. Reportedly, he visits Tirupati and Pandharpur temples every year.
Venugopal Dhoot worshipping in a temple at his home
In 1984, Videocon Group was founded by Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot. In 1985, Nandlal Madhavlal Dhoot decided to produce 1 Lakh TV sets every year. In an interview, Anirudh Dhoot claimed that Videocon was the first company to bring colour TVs to India. Venugopal Dhoot holds the directorships of Videocon Telecommunications Limited, Hindustan Oil Ventures Limited, Videocon Energy Limited, Jumbo Techno Services Private Limited, and Senior Consulting Private Limited. Reportedly, Venugopal Dhoot made Videocon one of the leading brands of Color TVs in India. In 2005, he was appointed as the managing director of Videocon Industries Limited. In 2010, he was re-appointed as the managing director of Videocon Group for five years.
Venugopal Dhoot giving a speech as the chairperson of Videocon Group
The company owned 17 manufacturing sites in India and had manufacturing plants in many countries such as Mainland China, Mexico, Poland, and Italy. In June 2018, the company ceased trading nationally and overseas and entered bankruptcy proceedings after facing losses in its oil businesses.
ICICI Loan Fraud Case
In April 2018, CBI questioned Venugopal Dhoot regarding the ICICI-Videocon loan controversy. The CBI enquired him, Chanda Kochhar’s husband, Deepak Kochhar, and some others to investigate the matter of allegedly sanctioning Rs. 3,250 crore ICICI loan to the Videocon Group. On 23 December 2022, the CBI arrested Chanda Kochhar and her husband, Deepak Kochhar for some alleged anomalies in the loan of Rs. 3,000-crore to Videocon Group by ICICI Bank, when the bank was headed by Chanda Kochhar. She was accused by the CBI of criminal conspiracy and cheating for reported anomalies in Rs. 3,250 crore loan to Videocon Group, which became non-performing assets (NPA) for the ICICI Bank in 2017. According to sources, Deepak Kochhar, Chanda Kochhar’s husband, founded a company named NuPower Renewables in partnership with Venugopal Dhoot. Venugopal Dhoot used the loan money granted by ICICI Bank for investing in NuPower Renewables. On 26 December 2022, Venugopal Dhoot was arrested by CBI for being involved in the ICICI Bank-Videocon Fraud case.
Venugopal Dhoot arrested by CBI in Mumbai
- 2005: Won Marathwada Bhushan Award
- 2006: Won Elcina Electronics Man of the Year Award (2005-2006)
As of 2015, his net worth is estimated to be Rs 180 crores.
Note: It excludes the net worth of his wife and dependents (minors).
- Food: Sarson Ka Saag, Roti, Vegetable Biryani
- Venugopal Dhoot follows a vegetarian diet.
- In 2008, he became the President of the Associated Chambers of Commerce and Industry of India (ASSOCHAM) and the Electronic Industries Association of Marathwada.
- In 2009, he was in the 36th position on the ‘Top 50 Power List’ of the year.
- According to Forbes, he was ranked as the 61st richest person in India in 2015.
- He is one of the members of the Advisory Committee of Poona University Information Employment & Guidance and an adviser to the Government of Orissa for the industrial development of Orissa.
- In an event, ex-Prime Minister of India, Manmohan Singh, called Videocon ‘The Proud Face of Global India.’
- In 2011, his daughter, Tanushri Dhoot got married to Vivek Biyani, nephew of Kishore Biyani of Big Bazaar and Future Group. Many popular celebrities and businessmen attended the wedding including Shah Rukh Khan, Sonam Kapoor, Boney Kapoor, Sridevi, Poonam Dhillon, Gopinath Munde, Subash Chandra, Yash Chopra, Mohammed Azharuddin, and more.
Celebrities arriving at Tanushri Dhoot’s wedding