Death Date: 25/08/2022 Age: 86 Years Hometown: Jaipur, Rajasthan
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters– 167 cm
in meters– 1.67 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 6”
|Salt and Pepper
|Film: Gomti Ke Kinare (1972)
|Saawan… The Love Season (2006)
|Awards, Honours, Achievements
|1967: Presidential award for the film Naunihal
|Date of Birth
|9 August 1936 (Sunday)
|Jaipur, Jaipur State, British India
|Date of Death
|25 August 2022
|Place of Death
|Mumbai, Maharashtra, India
|Age (at the time of death)
|Prolonged Illness Aaj Tak
|Jaipur, Jaipur State, British India
|Relationships & More
|Marital Status (at the time of death)
|Usha Khanna (music director)
|He had no children.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Saawan Kumar Tak
- Saawan Kumar Tak was an Indian Director, Screenwriter, Producer, and Lyricist. He is known for directing superhit films Saajan Bina Suhagan, Souten, Souten Ki Beti, Sanam Bewafa, and Bewaffa Se Waffa. He directed over 19 films in the Bollywood film industry. He died on 25 August 2022 at Kokilaben Ambani Hospital after suffering a cardiac arrest.
- According to some media sources, Saawan Kumar Tak moved from Jaipur Rajasthan to Mumbai in 1967 to become an actor. After reaching two or three film studios, he did find work as an actor. He then decided to begin his career as a producer in the film industry and requested his sister to lend 25,000 rupees to produce a movie. However, his sister denied him the money, but his brother-in-law arranged the same for him.
- Saawan Kumar Tak is known as the godfather of veteran Indian actors Sanjeev Kumar and Mehmood Junior aka Naeem Sayyed for giving them a break in the Bollywood film industry. Reportedly, once, he noticed Sanjeev Kumar’s performance at a theatre and offered him a role in his film.
- He then directed the film Souten in 1983, and the film was a platinum jubilee hit. This film was shot in Mauritius and starred Rajesh Khanna, Tina Munim, and Padmini Kolhapure.
- Saawan Kumar Tak started his career in the Bollywood film industry in the year 1967 by directing the film Naunihal, which starred veteran Indian actor Sanjeev Kumar. This film earned the Presidential award at the National Awards ceremony in the same year. Saawan Kumar Tak is known for giving the name Sanjeev Kumar to actor Harihar Jethalal Jariwala.
- In 1972, Saawan Kumar Tak directed the film Gomti Ke Kinare, which was the last film of the Indian veteran actress Meena Kumari. This film was released after the death of Meena Kumari. The film started in 1968 and was released in 1972. The noted Indian musician RD Burman composed the songs for this film, and the veteran Indian actress Mumtaz was also in the lead role along with Meena Kumari.
Saawan Kumar, Agha, and Meena Kumari on the sets of Gomti Ke Kinare
- Reportedly, Saawan Kumar was the ex-lover of Meena Kumari. Once, in a media conversation, Saawan Kumar talked about the tragedies of Meena Kumari. He said,
Roses and handsome men could not take away her tragedies.”
In the same interview, Saawan Kumar narrated that once, Meena Kumari took him to her bedroom and narrated her stories all night. Filmfare He said,
But I had grown attached to her. One night she took me to her bedroom. She had the image of a tragedy queen but was in fact a great mimic. I couldn’t stop laughing at the stories she narrated. She then spread rose petals on her bed and went to sleep. I sat on the carpet and slept resting my head on the bed. When I came out of the room next morning, Khursheed Apa asked me satirically, “Did you sleep well?”
When Meena Kumari was suffering from cirrhosis of the liver, he would take blood vomiting in his hand, wipe her face, and put her to sleep. Noticing all his love for Meena Kumari, she once told Saawan Kumar that she saw God in him. Meena Kumari said,
You are the first person in whom I have seen God. You collect the blood I vomit in your hands. Not once do you show displeasure. Nobody has ever done this for me.”
Sawan Kumar Tak, then an aspiring director, offered emotional succour to Meena, while she went to the extent of selling her bungalow to finance his film
- It is said that filmmaker Saawan Kumar Tak was one of the men towards whom Meena Kumari drifted during her late thirties, and this led to her separation from her husband in 1960 and divorce in 1964. He was in her twenties, and she was in her late thirties when he got attracted to her. Filmfare
Saawan Kumar Tak with Meena Kumari
- Apart from being an accomplished film director, Saawan Kumar Tak was a proficient lyricist, who wrote songs for most of the films directed and produced by him. He composed songs for other filmmakers too, for instance, in 1973, he composed the popular song “Barkha Rani Zara Jamke Barso” for the film ‘Sabak’ in which veteran actors Shatrughan Sinha and Poonam Dhillon appeared in the lead roles.
- In 2000, Saawan Kumar Tak composed some songs for the film Kaho Naa… Pyaar Hai, and in 2004, he wrote the songs for the film Dev. The popular song “Zindagi Pyar Ka Geet Hai” from the film Souten was also composed by him. Later, he penned the famous songs “Hum Bhool Gaye” from the film Souten Ki Beti and “Yeh Dil Bewafa Se Wafa” from the film Bewaffa Se Waffa were written by him and were sung by legendary Indian singer Lata Mangeshkar.
Saawan Kumar Tak during the promotion of the film Sanam Bewaffa
- Saawan Kumar Tak worked with Indian actor Salman Khan in the film ‘Sanam Bewafa’ in 1991 and ‘Chand Ka Tukda’ in 1994.
An old picture of Saawan Kumar Tak with Salman Khan and Sridevi
- On 25 August 2022, his death news was announced by his PRO Mantu Singh in a media conversation. Mantu Singh said,
Sawan ji was 86 years old. He was not married. He was having heart problem for two days. After which he was admitted to Kokilaben Ambani Hospital. He died of a heart attack around 4 pm today.”