Height: 5′ 6″
Age: 19 Years
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters– 167 cm
in meters– 1.67 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 6”
|OTT Series: Ms. Marvel (2022)
|Date of Birth
|3 September 2002 (Tuesday)
|Age (as of 2021)
|Unionville High School
|Relationships & More
Mother– Nurse practitioner
|Brother– Her brother is six years older than her and is an Engineer by profession. The Guardian
|Robert John Downey Jr.
Some Lesser Known Facts About Iman Vellani
- Iman Vellani is a Hollywood actress who rose to fame in 2022 with her debuting role as a Marvel superhero.
- She was born in Pakistan and her parents migrated with her to Canada when she was just one year old. Esquire
- In 2019, she went to the Toronto International Film Festival to participate as a TIFF Next Wave Committee member. In the same year, Ms. Marvel series was announced which grabbed Vellani’s attention.
Iman Vellani with TIFF’s members Nara Wrigglesworth and Dan Dinary
- Vellani is a big fan of Marvel and Iron Man since childhood and decided to try her luck at Ms. Marvel’s auditions. She was auditioned for the lead role of Kamala Khan in Ms. Marvel through a Zoom call. Sana Amanat, the co-creator of Kamala Khan’s character auditioned her and during the audition, she found out that Vellani was a huge Marvel fan.
- During the audition, Vellani showed her entire room to Sana Amanat, the Co-executive producer of the Ms. Marvel project. Sana was impressed looking at Vellani’s entire room filled with Marvel posters. She highlighted Vellani’s audition to the team as she was much similar to the lead character of Ms. Marvel and was a Marvel fan as well. In an interview, Sana talked about it and said,
She showed me every corner of her room, and it was covered with Avengers. Then she said, ‘Oh wait, I’m not done’, opened up her closet, and there was more Marvel everywhere.’
- After completing her graduation Vellani planned to go to the Ontario College of Art & Design University for studying Integrated media but fate had other plans for her. The Hollywood Reporter In September 2020, on her last day at high school, she got selected for playing the lead role of Kamala Khan in Ms. Marvel.
- In 2020, she tried her hands on direction and directed two short films which were I don’t wanna b alone Vimeo and Push. Vimeo
Iman Vellani in her short film, I don’t wanna b alone
- A few days before the release of her series, she also appeared in a short documentary film, A Fan’s Guide to Ms. Marvel. This short film covered interviews of Vellani and the filmmaking team.
- This mini-series was released on 8 September 2022 on Disney+. The series and Vellani’s performance were positively reviewed by the critic and viewers. In this mini-series, she co-starred with Laurel Marsden, Yasmeen Fletcher, Mohan Kapur, Azhar Usman, Matt Lintz, Saagar Shaikh, and Zenobia Shroff. This mini-series was created as a part of the Marvel Cinematic Universe (MCU) which has entered into its fourth phase with new superheroes and their supporting characters.
Iman Vellani in still from Ms. Marvel series
- Vellani belongs to a Muslim family and played the character of Kamala who had the same origin as her. In an interview, she talked about this experience and said,
Growing up, I felt very disconnected from my culture and religion because I grew up in Canada. I didn’t have any brown friends that weren’t from my mosque and I didn’t hang out with them. Filming the show, I learned so much about my ancestry. That’s such a special thing I get to share with the character, and that’s because I was working with so many incredible creators who were from a Muslim or Pakistani background.’ The Guardian
- Vellani is also cast for the next film of the Marvel franchise titled as The Marvel which will release on 28 July 2023.
|The Hollywood Reporter