Age: 53 Years Husband: Mulayam Singh Yadav Hometown: Bidhuna, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Sadhna Gupta Yadav
|Being the second wife of Samajwadi Party founder Mulayam Singh Yadav
|Physical Stats & More
|in centimeters– 170 cm
in meters– 1.70 m
in feet & inches– 5’ 6”
|Date of Birth
|Bidhuna, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Date of Death
|1 October 2022
|Place of Death
|Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon
|Age (at the time of death)
|Lung Infection India Today
|Bidhuna, Uttar Pradesh, India
|Other Backward Class (OBC)
|Post-Saifai, District Etawah, 26001, Uttar Pradesh
|Relationships & More
|Marital Status (at the time of death)
|She was in a relationship with Mulayam Singh Yadav before getting married to him in 2003.
|• Chandra Prakash Gupta (a grocer from Farrukhabad) (m. 1986 -d. 1990)
• Mulayam Singh Yadav (politician) (m. 2003)
|• Chandra Prakash Gupta
• Mulayam Singh Yadav
|Son– Prateek Yadav (politician)
Daughter-in-law– Aparna Yadav (politician)
Step-son– Akhilesh Yadav (politician)
|Brother– Promod Gupta (politician)
Some Lesser Known Facts About Sadhana Gupta
- Sadhana Gupta was an Indian woman who was known for being the second wife of Samajwadi Party founder Mulayam Singh Yadav. On 1 October 2022, she passed away due to prolonged illness at Medanta Hospital in Gurgaon. She was suffering from a lung infection.
- On 4 July 1986, Sadhana Gupta got married to a grocer from Farrukhabad, Chandraprakash Gupta and got mutually divorced in 1990. She then got married to Mulayam Singh Yadav in 2003. Mulayam Singh Yadav’s son, Akhilesh Yadav mentioned in his biography, Badlav Ki Lehar, that Sadhana used to pay regular visits to Mulayam’s house to take care of Mulayam’s mother when she (Murti Devi) was ill in the 1980s. In the same biography, Akhilesh Yadav wrote that when a nurse who was appointed to take care of Murti Devi was administering a wrong injection to her, then Sadhana took action against that nurse and intervened the action. This incident made Mulayam Singh fall in love with Sadhan Gupta. Akhilesh wrote,
A nurse in the medical college was going to inject a wrong drug to Murti Devi, which came to Sadhna’s notice as she was present there at the moment and stopped the nurse from doing so.”
- Reportedly, Mulayam Singh Yadav started considering Sadhan Gupta lucky for him as she came into his life in 1988s after which he became the Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh.
A picture of Sadhana with her husband
- She was twenty years younger than Mulayam Singh. In 2003, Sadhana and Mulayam Singh Yadav got married. However, the official confirmation of their marriage came into the limelight in 2007. In 2007, Mulayam Singh Yadav revealed in an affidavit that Sadhana Gupta was his wife and Prateek Yadav was his son. Prateek Yadav is the son of Sadhana Gupta by her first husband, Chandraprakash Gupta.
- According to some media sources, Akhilesh Yadav became very upset when his father decided to marry Sadhana. Akhilesh began living separately, soon after the marriage of Sadhana and Mulayam. The late veteran Indian politician Amar Singh was the only person who knew about the relationship of Mulayam Yadav with Sadhna.
- According to some media reports, in one of Prateek Yadav’s school forms in 1994, Mulayam Singh Yadav was listed as his father. However, Sadhna Gupta’s name hit the headlines in 2003 after the death of Mulayam Singh Yadav’s first wife and Akhilesh Yadav’s mother, Malti Yadav.
- Once, in a media conversation, Sadhana Gupta disclosed that once, she expressed her desire to join politics to her second husband, Mulayam Singh Yadav who strictly refused her to do so.
Sadhana Gupta (right) while attending an event
- In 2011, her daughter-in-law, Aparna Yadav joined the Bharatiya Janata Party government in Uttar Pradesh.
- In 2017, during the final phase of election polls in Uttar Pradesh, there was a war going on between Samajwadi and Sadhana Gupta Yadav, who wanted her son Prateek Yadav to join politics. A day before the final phase of the general elections, she stated in a media interview that she would not tolerate the humiliation of Mulayam Singh Yadav anymore. Banglore Mirror She said,
I would now assert myself and not tolerate the humiliation of Netaji (Mulayam).”
However, in the same discussion, she narrated that Mulayam never differentiated between her and Akhilesh Yadav. She cited,
He has been misled by some people, otherwise he would not have done what he did. I feel bad about what happened in the family. A chief secretary was transferred and people said I was behind it. This is false, though I wish I was so powerful.”
Sadhana Gupta (extreme right) with her family members
- Sadhana Gupta’s brother, Pramod Gupta, contested Uttar Pradesh’s 16th Legislative Assembly elections and won. He then served as an MLA in Uttar Pradesh for five years. In 2022, Promod Gupta joined the Bharatiya Janta Party in Uttar Pradesh.
Promod Gupta (left) while joining the BJP government in 2022
- The Chief Minister of Uttar Pradesh, Yogi Adityanath expressed condolences on Sadhna’s death and wrote a note on his Twitter handle. He wrote,
The death of Mulayam Singh Ji’s wife is extremely saddening. May Lord Ram help the soul attain moksha and strength to the family.”