Salt Bae is a Turkish butcher, chef, and food entertainer. He is the owner of the restaurant Nusr-Et Steakhouse, based out of Abu Dhabi. In January 2017, he rose to fame after a video of him, while preparing and seasoning steak, went viral and became an iconic meme.
Salt Bae was born Nusret Gökçe on Tuesday, 9 August 1983 (age 39 years; as of 2022) in Erzurum, Turkey. His zodiac sign is Leo. Due to the insufficient finances of his home, Nusret’s parents forced him to quit school. In an Instagram post, he revealed that he went to school for five years only.
A childhood picture of Salt Bae during his school days
Height (approx.): 5′ 6″
Weight (approx.): 70kg
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Body Measurements (approx.): Chest: 40 inches, Waist: 28 inches, Biceps: 14 inches
He belongs to a Kurdish family.
Parents & Siblings
His father, Faik Gökçe, is a mineworker and is married to Fatma Gökçe.
A picture of Nusret Gokce’s parents
Nusret’s brothers, Özgür Gökçe, Erman Gökçe, and Ugur Gökce are all Turkish chefs and restaurateurs.
Nusret Gokce with his brother Özgür Gokce
Nusret Gokce’s brother Erman Gökçe
A picture of Nusret Gokce’s brother Ugur Gökce
After he dropped out of school, he worked as a butcher’s apprentice in the Kadıköy district of Istanbul. After many years of odd jobs, Nusret evolved as a chef by bringing in the experience he earned in several countries including Argentina and the United States between 2007 and 2010. During that time, he worked in restaurants for free only to gain experience. In 2010, he returned to Turkey and established his own restaurant, Nusr-Et, which is now a chain of luxury steak houses in many countries including Turkey, Greece, the United States, the United Kingdom, the United Arab Emirates, Qatar, and Saudi Arabia. The internet went crazy after Nusret posted videos while preparing and presenting food on his social media platforms such as Instagram and YouTube.
- In 2014, Nusret-Et Brand was awarded the Star Diamond Award by the American Academy of Hospitality Sciences.
- On 28 December 2022, a TikTok user posted a video in which he slammed Salt Bae’s restaurant in Qatar and accused him of being ‘disrespectful.’ In the video, the chef was wearing Air Pods as he carved up a steak tableside in his signature style. The customer, who paid £500 for the meal, was left unimpressed when he noticed that Salt Bae was on call, chatting to someone, while he was presenting the food to them, and rated the restaurant 1.7 out of 10.
A snapshot of Salt Bae extracted from the viral TikTok video
- On 21 December 2022, Salt Bae got banned from the 2023 U.S. Open Cup Final after he approached Lionel Messi for a quick snap on the ground when Argentine players were celebrating their victory at the FIFA World Cup 2022 final in Doha against France. The US Open Cup tweeted on Twitter and wrote,
Salt Bae is hereby banned from the 2023 @opencup Final.”
He’s a dive pic.twitter.com/O8QxDXUyBx
— Mark. UTFR🍻🇾🇪 (@Mark1975s) December 21, 2022
- Salt Bae violated FIFA World Cup 2022 rules and posed with other Argentina players while holding the trophy.
Salt Bae’s Instagram photos with the Argentina team at the FIFA World Cup 2022
- In September 2018, Týnuš Třešničková, a Czech internet personality, became a victim of a failed fire show in the Nusr-Et steakhouse in Istanbul, resulting in 35% total body surface area burns; four other guests faced minor body burns.
- Nusret is a fitness enthusiast and often shares his fitness regimen on social media.
Nusret Gokce after his workout session
- He follows a non-vegetarian diet and loves to smoke cigars occasionally.