Suryakumar Yadav Wiki, Height, Age, Wife, Family, Biography & More
Suryakumar Yadav is an Indian cricketer, who plays for the Indian national cricket team primarily as a batsman in the middle order. As of November 2022, Yadav is ranked as the number one batsman in the world in T20 international cricket. A right-hand batter and a right-arm medium pacer, Suryakumar is known for his 360-degree shots, all around the ground, producing uppercuts, inside-out drives, ramps, pulls, scoops, lofts, sweeps, and reverse sweep in profusion.
Surya Kumar Ashok Yadav was born on Friday, 14 September 1990 (age 32 years; as of 2022) in Mumbai, Maharashtra. His zodiac sign is Virgo.
Suryakumar Yadav in childhood with his father
His family has its roots in Hathouda village of Ghazipur, Uttar Pradesh, from where his father migrated to Mumbai to pursue his (Surya’s father) career. Suryakumar was 10 years old at that time. In Mumbai, Yadav began playing cricket and badminton with his friends in the streets of Chembur. He was equally good at both. Seeing his inclination towards sports, his father asked Suryakumar to choose one sport between the two. After much thought, when Suryakumar decided to go forward with cricket, enrolled him in a cricket camp in BARC colony in Chembur. His coach Ashok Kamat was also an employee at his father’s department, who told his father that Yadav could surely reach Ranji level. He trained at his colony’s cricket camp for a while and then joined Elf Vengsarkar Academy of former international cricketer Dilip Vengsarkar and started playing age-group cricket when he was 12 years old. In an interview, while talking about the instances which helped Surya make a career in cricket, his father said,
It helped that the colony had a ground of its own. Besides, stalwarts such as former Indian captain Dilip Vengsarkar and batsman Lalchand Rajput had ties with the colony and would often visit.”
Yadav has also learned cricket from his paternal uncle, Vinod Yadav, who was his first coach. He did his schooling at Atomic Energy Central School, Mumbai. He then attended the Atomic Energy Junior College in Mumbai. Yadav pursued a Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) from Pillai College of Arts, Commerce and Science, Mumbai.
Height (approx.): 5′ 11″
Hair Colour: Black
Eye Colour: Black
Suryakumar has got around 18 tattoos inked on his body which include:
- His parents’ faces tattooed on his right shoulder
Surya Kumar Yadav’s tattoo
- An ambigram bearing the names of his parents on his right forearm
Suryakumar Yadav’s tattoo
- “Life is what you make it” inked on his left forearm
Suryakumar Yadav’s ‘Life is what you make it’ tattoo
- “Take one step at a time” inked on his left leg
Suryakumar Yadav’s ‘Take one step at a time’ tattoo
- A tribal Maori-style tattoo which starts from his left arm covers the left side of his chest and extends to the upper back
Suryakumar Yadav’s tribal tattoo
- His wife Devisha’s name inked on the left side of his chest below the Maori face
Suryakumar Yadav’s Devisha tattoo
- An Arrow tattooed on his right arm
Suryakumar Yadav’s arrow tattoo
- A floral tattoo including a rose, nautical star, and diamond on his right forearm which symbolizes luxury, wealth, success, power, and authority
Suryakumar Yadav’s rose tattoo
Suryakumar Yadav’s diamond tattoo
Suryakumar Yadav’s nautical star tattoo
- Two symbols on the left side of his neck
Suryakumar Yadav’s neck tattoo
- An Eye tattooed on his right hand
Suryakumar Yadav’s Eye tattoo
- A band tattooed on the ring finger of his right hand
Suryakumar Yadav’s ‘band’ tattoo
He belongs to a middle-class family.
Parents & Siblings
Suryakumar’s father, Ashok Kumar Yadav, is a chief engineer at the Bhabha Atomic Research Centre (BARC), Mumbai. His mother’s name is Sapna Yadav. Suryakumar has a sister named Dinal Yadav.
Suryakumar Yadav with his family
Wife & Children
Suryakumar Yadav met his wife, Devisha Shetty (classical dancer), for the first time in 2012 at the R.A. Podar College Of Commerce & Economics, Mumbai, where they both studied. They soon became friends and then started dating each other. While Devisha got impressed by Suryakumar’s batting style, Suryakumar was flattened by Devisha’s dance moves. After dating each other for some time, the couple got engaged in May 2016. They tied the knot on 7 July 2016 in Mumbai.
Surya Kumar Yadav’s wedding picture
Suryakumar Yadav with his family
Grandfather Vikram Singh Yadav was an inspector in the CRPF and was honoured with President’s Police Medal in 1991.
Suryakumar Yadav follows Hinduism.
He belongs to a Kshatriya family.
Suryakumar Yadav resides in a posh apartment complex in Anushakti Nagar, Chembur in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
An inside image of Suryakumar Yadav’s house
- 8th Indian to win most player-of-the-series awards in T20 Internationals
- Most runs in an inning (by batting position) in T20 Internationals
- Highest career strike rate (180.34) in T20 Internationals
- 7th Indian to score fifties in consecutive innings in T20 Internationals
- 6th Indian to score most fours in an inning in T20 Internationals
- 5th Highest Partnership for the sixth wicket in T20 Internationals
- 8th fastest to 1000 runs in T20 Internationals
- In 2022, Yadav became the first Indian batter to hit 1,000 T20 International runs in a calendar year. He accomplished the feat during India’s Super 12 match against Zimbabwe at the T20 World Cup. Yadav became the second player in the world to achieve the feat after Pakistan opener Mohammad Rizwan.
Surya Kumar Yadav began playing club cricket for Parsi Gymkhana Cricket Club in Mumbai. Subsequently, he played for Bharat Petroleum Corporation Limited, Shivaji Park Gymkhana club, and Dadar Union club in Mumbai’s club cricket. In 2010, Suryakumar Yadav made his debut in first-class cricket and played for Mumbai, scoring 73 off 89 balls against Delhi. He played in Syed Mushtaq Ali Trophy in 2010 itself and scored more than a thousand runs in Under-22 and won the MA Chidambaram Trophy. Yadav was then selected for Ranji Trophy in 2011-12 and scored a double century against Odisha; Yadav was the leading run scorer for Mumbai in the season scoring 754 runs. Suryakumar also remained the captain of the Mumbai cricket team for a brief period of time in the Ranji trophy. Yadav was stripped of captaincy by Mumbai Cricket Association (MCA) during the 2014–15 Ranji Trophy. During 2018-2019, Ranji Trophy, Yadav was dropped from the Mumbai team. In October 2018, Yadav was named in India C’s squad for the 2018–19 Deodhar Trophy. He was also a part of India C team in the 2019-20 Deodhar Trophy. He has been a part of various domestic cricket teams like Mumbai A, West Zone, India Red, India blue, and Mumbai cricket association’s IX teams.
Indian Premier League
In 2012, Suryakumar Yadav was picked up by the Indian Premier League franchise Mumbai Indians during the IPL auctions. Although Yadav played a match for Mumbai Indians in 2012, he was overshadowed by the likes of Sachin Tendulkar, Rohit Sharma, Mahela Jayawardene, and Kieron Pollard. He was released by the franchise in 2013. During the 2014 IPL auctions, Surya Kumar was bought by Kolkata Night Riders. During the 2015 IPL, Surya Kumar played a match-winning inning scoring 46 runs in just 20 balls against Mumbai Indians at Eden Gardens and gained instant fame. Surya Kumar was then made the vice-captain of the team. In 2018, he was bought by the Mumbai Indians at Rs 3.2 crores in an auction and became a key part of the team ever since, managing the middle order with expertise. In 2020, Yadav scored 480 runs for Mumbai Indians in 15 matches. In 2022, Mumbai Indians retained Surya Kumar Yadav for Rs. 8 crores. Following an injury, Yadav was ruled out from IPL 2022.
Suryakumar Yadav playing for Mumbai Indians
Suryakumar Yadav has been a part of several international junior cricket teams like India under 23, India A, and India C. Suryakumar Yadav was named in the Indian T20 International squad for their series against England in February 2021. He made his T20 International debut against England on 14 March 2021 at Narendra Modi Stadium in Ahmedabad. Yadav got the first opportunity to bat in the fourth game of the series, hitting a six in his first ball. He became the first Indian to do so in T20 International. He scored a fifty in the match. Subsequently, he was named in the Indian squad for One Day International for India’s series against England in July 2021. He made his ODI debut for India against Sri Lanka on 18 July 2021 at Colombo (RPS). Yadav scored his first ODI fifty against Sri Lanka on 21 July 2021. In January 2023, Yadav became a part of the Indian squad in the three-match T20 International series between India and Sri Lanka. Yadav hit a jaw-dropping century against Sri Lanka in the third and final T20I in Rajkot, becoming the talk of the town. He scored 112* runs off 51 balls and helped India to score a massive total of 228/5.
Criticised for Praising Riyan Parag
In May 2022, Rajasthan Royals batsman Riyan Parag attracted severe criticism after he gave a death scare to his team’s veteran spinner R Ashwin following a run-out in Qualifier 1 of the IPL 2022 against Gujarat Titans (GT). Soon after the incident, Suryakumar Yadav made a tweet, praising Riyan Parag for his attitude on the field. His tweet did not go down well with the Twitterverse, who criticised Yadav for supporting Riyan’s aggressive behaviour. However, later Yadav clarified through another tweet that his earlier tweet on Parag was for his electrifying fielding on the ground and not for his antics.
In 2014, Suryakumar Yadav got involved in an on-field altercation with team-mate Shardul Thakur post which there were several complaints about his “hothead” nature by his other team-mates. Apparently, the argument began after a disagreement between Yadav and Thakur on a particular field setting during the match against MP. After the incident, both players were issued a warning. Later, Yadav was stripped of the Mumbai Indians captaincy across all formats due to his attitude issues.
Yadav owns a fleet of luxury cars that include:
- BMW 5 Series 530d M Sport (worth Rs. 75 lakhs)
Suryakumar Yadav’s BMW
- Toyota Fortuner (worth Rs. 40 lakhs)
- Nissan Jonga (worth Rs. 15 lakhs; the SUV was used by the Indian Army for a long time)
Suryakumar Yadav posing with his Nissan Jonga
- Porsche 911 Turbo (worth Rs. 3.64 crores)
- Mercedes-Benz GLS (worth Rs. 1.16 crores)
Suryakumar Yadav posing with his Mercedes Benz GLS
- Mercedes-Benz AMG GLE 63 S 4Matic (worth Rs. 2.15 crores)
- Range Rover Velar (worth Rs. 90 lakhs)
- MINI Cooper S (worth Rs. 40 lakhs)
- Audi A6 (worth Rs. 60 lakhs)
A bike enthusiast, Suryakumar owns a few sports bikes including
- Suzuki Hayabusa (worth Rs. 16 lakhs)
Suryakumar Yadav riding his Hayabusa
- Harley-Davidson (worth Rs. 18 lakhs)
As of 2022, he earns Rs. 70-80 lakhs per month through his cricket matches and brand endorsing. Yadav’s annual income is estimated to be Rs. 8 crores.
As of 2022, his net worth is estimated to be Rs. 32 crores.
- Cricket Ground: Eden Gardens in Kolkata
- Food: Biryani, Chinese cuisine
- Film(s): Om Shanti Om (2007), Bajirao Mastani (2015), Hera Pheri (2000), Golmaal (2006), Dhamaal (2007), Andaz Apna Apna (1994)
- Clothing Brand: Allen Solly
- Football Team(s): Manchester City F.C., FC Barcelona
- Colour(s): Electric Blue, Fluorescent Green, Yellow
- Suryakumar Yadav loves playing video games, golf, and guitar in his leisure time. He also loves watching football, reading and swimming.
- Surya Kumar is often addressed by his initials SKY.
- In an interview, when Surya Kumar’s father was asked about his nickname SKY, he said, “Actually, we call him Lalu at home. You know how it is sometimes, we just assign a common, cutesy name to a kid. Like Lalu or Bobby.”
- Apparently, Surya Kumar Yadav became the fifth Indian to smash a century in T20 internationals. The other four are Suresh Raina, Rohit Sharma, KL Rahul, and Deepak Hooda.
- A pet lover, Yadav has two French bulldogs named Oreo and Pablo. He is also fond of birds and has shared several pictures with parrots on his Instagram account.
Suryakumar Yadav with his pet dogs
- Yadav’s cricket coaches are Vinod Yadav, Chandrakant Pandit, HS Kamath, and Ashok Aswalkar
- Suryakumar Yadav follows a non-vegetarian diet. According to his dietitian, Yadav’s diet consists of a lot of first-class proteins like eggs, meats, and fish.
- Suryakumar is politically inclined towards the Bharatiya Janata Party.
- The first car that Suryakumar Yadav ever owned was a Hyundai i20.
- Yadav is a huge fan of comedy films. In an interview, he shared that he had seen the Hindi film ‘Hera Pheri’ (2000) more than 500 times.
- Suryakumar is very particular about his fitness and follows a strict workout regimen.
Suryakumar Yadav during his workout session
- In an interview, when Yadav was asked about his favourite English song he replied that he didn’t like listening to English songs.
- Yadav once revealed that if not a cricketer, he would be a pilot.
- Apparently, Surya is the only Indian player to have scored 30+ scores in his first six ODI innings.
- In an interview, while crediting his wife Devisha for his success, Suryakumar said,
My wife made a lot of sacrifices for the family. She always insisted on keeping my diet and fitness right. Her contribution to my success is stupendous.”
- In 2011, Yadav won the MA Chidambaram Trophy for the best Under-22 cricketer of the year.
- A religious person, Suryakumar is an ardent devotee of Lord Ganesha.
- Yadav is the brand ambassador of the popular Indian fantasy sports apps Free Hit and Dream 11. He has also endorsed various other brands like Maxima Watches, Sareen Sports, Neiman’s Shoes, Zebronics, and Noise.
Suryakumar Yadav endorsing FreeHit
- Yadav has also promoted several brands on his Instagram accounts like Urbangabru and Pintola.
Suryakumar Yadav endorsing Pintola Peanut Butter
- In an interview, Surya Kumar’s father while describing their routine when Yadav is playing for India said,
I will go to office, discharge my duties and then watch the game with my colleagues. My daughter (Dinal) will go to her office too. My wife (Sapna) is very religious. She goes to Siddhivinayak or Mahalaxmi temple and does a puja. She prays for India to win, but normally doesn’t watch the match.”